Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

Two things happened this morning that are amazing. The first is the fact that I'm a father, and this is the first Father's Day with two children out of the womb. We are presently with my in-laws, so they allowed my wife and I to sleep in a little this morning and they took care of the two kids. When I woke up and walked into the living room my daughter (almost 5 years old) saw me and said, "Daddy, Happy Father's Day" and went and picked up a card that she made just for me. There is nothing better for a daddy than that! Right about the same time, my son (almost 10 months) was playing in the floor with his nana. He saw me and immediately started crawling to me saying over and over again, "Daaiiy" It's so cute hearing him say daddy without the middle 'd' sound. I realized once again how amazingly blessed I am to have been gifted with these two gifts.

Another thing happened this morning. If you know my past (childhood) then you know that I didn't grow up around my father. Without getting into the reasons for that on here, this morning I called him for the first time I can remember to tell him Happy Father's Day. The reason this is a big deal is that it's only because of the gospel of Jesus Christ that we are talking again. I am thankful to God for what He's accomplished in my life and the life of my father. This has truly be a great Father's Day already.

And it would not be fair to not mention my father-in-law. When I asked him if I could marry his daughter over 10 years ago, he said only under one condition. That condition was that he would be able to treat me like the son he's never had. He has done that! I am thankful for him in my life as well. And I'm thankful to spend today with him.

No comments: