Saturday, January 2, 2010

Starting off the Year Reading

I am starting off the year reading a few different things. I've been sick for the past few days which has enabled me to read more than usual (I guess I'm too tired to get up and move about). Here is the list of what I'm reading now:

1. The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller - So far this book has been fantastic. I would encourage any and everyone to read this book!

2. The Case for Covenantal Infant Baptism ed. by Gregg Strawbridge. I have many friends and heroes who do/have baptized infants. I've never taken the time to learn what they understand the Scriptures to teach from their perspective until recently. It has proved to be another good book thus far.

3. The Bible - I'm actually presently working through 2 Bible reading plans at once. As a church I have decided to use the Book at a Time Bible Reading Plan. This is a great plan because it spends time in a just a few chapters a day and gives you a few make-up days every month. However, I've also challenged myself in another Bible reading plan. I am not sure I'll be able to do this one, but I'm reading the Bible in 90 days. While this is a good way to read through the Bible, it is not a good way to meditate on the Scriptures.

4. Leading with Love by Alexander Strauch - I'm reading this with my deacons this year. I read most of it a few years ago, but am looking forward to discussing it with these men who want to lead FBC well.

5. Training Hearts, Teaching Minds by Starr Meade - We are reading this during our family devotions 6 nights a week and working through the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

What are you reading now? What do you plan to read this year?

4 comments:

Daniel said...

I am re-reading Thoughts for Young Men (JC Ryle) and The Pursuit of God (AW Tozer).

I just finished Getting to Yes, then started a dense book given to me by the dean at the school of business, A Failure of Nerve.

I hope to plow through John Piper's Desiring God and Future Grace this year. Wouldn't mind tackling The Meaning of the Pentateuch as well.

Pastor Randy said...

Daniel,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Sounds like you have some great reading plans this year! I would love to read The Meaning of the Pentateuch as well. After Piper endorsed it like he did I don't know how I couldn't. :)

BoldLion said...

As for me, I couldn't read that many books when I am doggie sick. People are very different. I am glad that you were able to read that many during that time when you were sick.

What I am currently reading now,
1) This year, I am reading NASB update as One Year Bible Reading Plan. Last year, I finished reading ESV in One Year Bible Plan. I am bless to be able to do that.
2) For daily devotional, I am currently reading Taste and See by John Piper. One Devotional each night.
3) Chosen for Life by Sam Storm. I am almost finish reading this wonderful book. I had written a blog about this book. I love what I am learning.(I got about 19 more pages to go.) I read this book along with my ESV Bible with highlighter and colorful pens.

I don't know what books that I will be reading after Chosen for Life.

4) I am currently memorizing scriptures and reviewing scriptures that we at Christ Baptist Church of Wilson had memorized. I do the reviewing once a week. But memorizing the current one daily.

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Daniel said...

Randy,
After downloading and reading part of the introduction to The Meaning of the Pentateuch, I realized it was a book to spend a summer on. Or two. Like you said...after Piper endorsed it so strongly, I started itching to dive in.