Thursday, December 15, 2011

Wonderful Grace

From Philip Ryken:
I. Howard Marshall offers the following paraphrase of Luke 12:50, "How I am totally governed by this until it be finally accomplished." What a joy it is for us to see our Savior say this on his way to the cross! Jesus was going there to suffer for our sins, to die in our place, and he would not rest until the job was done. This was the governing ambition of his life and ministry. With his heart set on accomplishing the great work of our salvation, he pressed relentlessly towards his baptism of the cross. Apart from this willing sacrifice, we could never be saved.
Luke 12:50 says, "I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how great is my distress until it is accomplished."

What is really great about this is the fact that Jesus let us know exactly when it was accomplished when He cried out, "It is finished." (John 19:30)

This, my friends, is wonderful, marvelous grace.

No comments: