Thursday, May 29, 2008

How Should the Church Be? Part 1

Over the past several months I have thought a lot about what the church is supposed to be. I am sure there are several opinions about this, but I plan to post a few thoughts in the next couple of weeks. Right now my schedule is slammed with this summer class, but I hope for a break this weekend. For tonight I will simply say that the church is supposed to be Biblically saturated. If it's true that all Scripture is God-breathed, then shouldn't we take seriously what it says? Over the past several years I have been faced with having my preconceived thoughts about the teachings of Scripture challenged because I believe it's His Word and it means something specific and we are to obey it. God has chosen to reveal Himself to humanity in a special way called the Word of God. Jesus had a high view of Scripture which is evidenced in the fact that He quoted Deuteronomy to combat the temptation of Satan. He also explained to the disciples on the road to Emmaus that the Old Testament is about Him. There is much to be said here, but if the Bible is not primary, where else do you get your authority? Before you say from Jesus, I trust that that is based on your understanding from the Bible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward with great expectations to reading your thoughts on the church. So far so good. This is been on my heart a lot lately as well.

This morning reading Acts with some friends we discussed the church in Antioch's faithfulness as we read chapter 13 and referenced chapter 11.

By the way, I got a big laugh (as I thought of you) when reading the first few sentences of Chapter 13, where it was describing the leaders of that church. If you don't see why, I will tell you later.