Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Read the Bible in 2010

I find it very important to spend time in God's Word every year. I know I am not alone in this and I also know that sometimes we begin the year well, but we do not finish as strong. This is true for many of us. However, I want to be a good pastor who is in the Word and challenges my church to be in the Word as well. For my newsletter article to our church for January I challenged our people to be in the Word in 2010. Here are 2 of the reasons I gave:

My first reason is an important reason. In the Scriptures God has spoken. What I mean by that is that when you and I come to the Scriptures, we realize that God has spoken through various authors, but it is still God’s Word. This is foundational for your Christian life. It is how you answer the question, “how do I hear from God?” In our world of all kinds of answers the only sure answer that I can give you is that you hear from God by going to the Word of God. Since the Bible is the Word of God it is vitally important for us to know God through His spoken Word.

My second reason is because Scripture is about Jesus. This is perhaps as important as the first. In Luke 24:13-35 a conversation is recorded for us between Jesus and two of His disciples. In the midst of their conversation Jesus reveals Himself to them and began explaining who He was to them from the Scriptures. In fact, it says in Luke 24:27, “And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.” Just after this Jesus appears to many of His disciples and He says in verse 44, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” So as you open up the Bible and begin to read it you are actually constantly pointed to Jesus. That is a great reason to read your Bible.

Would you consider reading the Bible in 2010? If so, find a good Bible reading plan and use it. This year FBC is using one of these from the Discipleship Journal.

1 comment:

BoldLion said...

This year in 2009, I had started reading through the whole Bible for the first time. It is a true blessing to do it for the first time. Lord willing, on Dec 31st, I will write a post about it.

I had been reading from ESV The One Year Bible http://www.crossway.org/product/158134709X
I am almost finish reading it. I love it.

For 2010, I am going to read through NASB updated http://www.amazon.com/NASB-Thinline-Bible-Large-Print/dp/0310917972/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262106835&sr=8-4 but I couldn't find The One Year Bible format in the Bible book form for that. But I will be using One Year Bible format "bookmark" http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/readingplan.asp?version=49&startmmdd=0101 for me to read through out the year of 2010.

Our church does have Discipleship Journal Reading Plan to give to other to start Bible Reading Plan. I am glad for that, but I rather read every day and not skip a few days.

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion