Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Short Meditation

Just before I went to Mexico a few weeks ago I was reading through James and read some familiar verses that have been with me ever since.  It is found in Chapter 2, verses 14-17:
What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?  Can that faith save him?  If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and filled," without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?  So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
There is nothing new to say here.  Only that we need to be reminded of the importance of showing mercy to those in need.  I think this why I have been stuck on the need of mercy ministry over the past few weeks (more so than normal) for churches.  How can we say we have faith, but we have no works to display our faith?  May we all be challenged to demonstrate our faith by showing mercy to those in need.

No comments: