Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Extended Quote from Mahaney

I have just recently finished rereading Humility: True Greatness by C. J. Mahaney and it was better this time that the previous ones. This quote from the chapter on how to begin each day is a great encouragement and challenge to me:
I've found that it's possible for me to charge into my day motivated by self-sufficiency. But I've also learned that the very act of opening my Bible to read and turning my heart and mind to prayer makes a statement that I need God. i find great benefit from this understanding, because lie you, I have wildly fluctuating emotional experiences from day to day in my devotion. One morning I'm profoundly aware that God is near to me, while the next day I can sense only His absence. In a matter of hours I go from what seems to be an effortless experience of pure joy to asking, "Where are You? Where did You go?"
The fact is, of course, He didn't go anywhere. Yesterday H allowed me to sense His presence; today He seems to be sending the message, "I want you to grow more in your trust of Me; therefore, I'm withdrawing that sense of My nearness."
I've learned that regardless of how I feel when I'm finished reading my Bible in the morning, I can know that I've made the statement, "I need You, I'm dependent upon You." By quietly pausing to study and read and pray before launching my workday, I can be confident that I've taken a step to weaken pride and strengthen humility.

No comments: