Saturday, November 29, 2008

Out of Shape

I am sitting here contemplating the fact that I need to exercise and get back in shape. Believe it or not, I played sports year round until I graduated from high school (which seems like a very long time ago at this point....1995). I played soccer which demanded me to be in good shape; I wrestled which made me be in great shape; and I played church softball which kept me going until soccer started back. However, I am no where close to that kind of shape. Now, I'm in a different shape (which you do not need to comment or amen or anything). But the Lord has been convicting me for years now about how I eat and how I take care of my body. I used to publicly claim that I was going to do this or that and then fail at my attempts to get back into shape. Then I quit sharing and hoped to "surprise" people when I got in shape. Neither of those have worked. So, here I am, out of shape, still convicted, and needing a change. So this is a post asking for advice on how to get in shape. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Where do I begin? Keep in mind, I'm heavy enough right now that running hurts my knees and the ankle I broke a few years ago. I may have to lose about 20-30 pounds before I can run. What are your suggestions?

3 comments:

TheBeastMan said...

I'm trying to get back at it too.

You prob shouldn't start running right away anyway. I'd begin by walking. Though it doesn't always work, one of my best motivations is loading up the iPod with sermons. Walk as long as the sermon is.

Then after a few weeks, you might start jogging very slowly (like a 10 or 11 minute mile).

You might also try the "Couch to 5k" beginners program:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

jesusgirls3 said...

stop eating quesidilla burgers!! haha...miss you guys!! :)hannah(:

Pastor Randy said...

That is funny. Hey Hannah, we miss you too. And there are no Applebees here so the burgers are out.